Subject: Blackbird singin on the edge of night
Guess what? P-day moved to Tuesday again because of transfers tomorrow. So that’s why I'm writing you early. I didn't get transferred so I'm staying in the same place and everything is exactly the same which is fine. I do like it here and we have a lot of new promising investigators that I'm excited to see what happens with; and my companion’s a great guy. Although I do feel like strangling him half the time, I'm pretty sure that’s unavoidable.
I gave him the glittens you made and he seemed pretty happy. He uses them a lot. Is there any particular reason why you made the mitten part super long? Are you still going to make me a pair with magnets? Thanks for all the packages. I actually got all three on the same day because I was on exchange when the one with the glittens came and so I got it the next day. Then I went into Stockton to pick up the Valentine’s Day one and when I got back the scarf came so that was pretty cool. Thanks.
The scarf is great, but it had gotten warm so I wasn't wearing a scarf or gloves. Then the scarf showed up and it got cold again so I kind've blame the scarf. The Valentine’s Day package was the best box yet. I even play with the bee (which I'm pretty sure came from my jeep). The gummy bears are great too. They really don't have gummy and/or sour candy over here. Just ridiculous amounts of chocolate.
There wasn't anything absurd in the box and the mints you sent are really good so good job. Wait I forgot about the insect repellent. I don't know if you know this but there really aren't a lot of mosquitoes over here and I now have at least 5 bottles of different kinds of insect repellent. So even if a killer swarm of locusts come, I think I'm covered. But I really appreciate everything you do send and I do actually use most of it although I still haven't found time to make my own rootbeer, but the thought was nice.
Anyways we had a BAPTISM on Saturday which was amazing. Scott and Jordan are 12 and 14 and they are amazing. Their grandma was a less active we found while knocking and she's been reactivated. They love coming to church and they really want to do what’s right. Teaching lessons over there is crazy though I never knew how calm Caleb is. You honestly have six people trying to carry on independent conversations with you at once. Sometimes they look at each other, acknowledge that someone else is talking, then just talk louder. But they’re all really nice people.
We’re also still teaching the man from Zimbabwe. He came to church and really liked it and were hoping to schedule his family this week. We also met two people from Russia named Vladamire and Valentina. He is an inventor and a physicist. They have both been taught the gospel in Russia and know it’s true, however they are currently homeless because he can't get a visa to work in England. So we are currently teaching them in a park. They are both really smart. They spend their days doing research at the library. I feel really sorry for them but I don't know what to do. We are trying to get them a Book of Mormon and Teachings of the Prophet Brigham Young in Russian but we'd have to keep them at a members house because they don't have a place to put them.
I really don't know how England continues to function. Nobody works. Everyone is supported by the government. They provide their houses and everything. It’s called council housing. On top of that they have asylum seekers from all over coming in and they’re not allowed to work so the government has to support them too.
Despite all the problems over here I'm really enjoying myself. So far we’re having a lot of success right now and it's exciting to see people accept the gospel. It's also tough to see people going through life the way they do. We are teaching a lady named Barbara who breeds German Sheppard’s. She was severely abused as a child and finds it hard to believe that God loves her. She hates people and turns to dogs and wolves and has been led to believe by her family that God will hate her for that too. She's apparently tried to commit suicide before and has had a really hard life that I can't even comprehend. I just wish she could realize that Christ suffered for everyone.
On a happier note we went to Whitbby this week but I didn't take any pictures because I forgot my camera. Oops. Elder McKenna says he'll get me copies though so maybe I'll send them to you. It’s actually a nice place. You could probably even find decent pictures on the internet instead of pictures of a chemical plant and a statue covered in graffiti like you found of Billingham. It was our zone p-day and we had a lot of fun. I ate a stick they sold it at a sweet shop and it was called licorice root. I asked the lady if it was edible and she said it was so I assumed it was just candy that looked like a stick but actually it was a stick that tasted slightly of licorice, but I still ate the whole thing. I also ate what were supposed to be the best fish and chips in England and they were all right. It was nice to see some countryside and it’s always nice to not be in a suit. People seem to be nicer.
Anyways I'm out of time. Thanks for all the letters. I still have some written that I keep meaning to send but there’s always a line at the post office so maybe soon. Also the charger for my razor works nice. It’s nice to be able to shave again. It saves a lot of time especially when we’re working around Brother Kellies poo schedule. Love you all. Thanks for everything. You should definitely start looking at new Malibus that need buying. Talk to you soon.
Elder Cody Scott Johnson
P.S. I got to play a guitar the other day and I'm definitely getting worse
No comments:
Post a Comment