Monday, October 19, 2009

October 19, 2009

Subject: I’m out of subjects

Happy Birthday to Caleb. The bishop really made him speak on his birthday. That’s ridiculous. I think I would have said no. That’s not how birthdays are supposed to work.

I can't believe no one went wakeboarding with dad at the end of the season. Boating is the best of all with the dry suit. You don't even get wet, you just wear warm clothes, take a few runs and when you get out you’re still completely dry and warm. Plus you have the lake to yourself. I'm disappointed, that’s all I can say.

Advice for the missionary coming to England. Suits are nicer and cheaper over here so don't spend a lot on suits back home. As long as you’re not tall, you can buy white shirts from Primark for like 3 pounds; short sleeve ones are only two pounds. They’re not the best shirts, but they're really cheap. I'd definitely bring a jacket. They sell nice ones over here but it takes a while to find one and it's already getting cold.

American ties are really gross. I've never felt a need for boots so far and you’re not actually allowed to wear hats. Don't worry about what you bring out. I wear the same tie and suit pretty much every day. You kind of stop caring what you look like. Plus you’re coming to England. It’s not too hard to pick up anything you've forgotten. What’s this missionary’s name anyways; and did you say he was coming to my mission, or just to England? If he's coming to this mission, tell him to start working on his side part. Anyways that’s all I got.

I really do want to send pictures home, it’s just a lot of work; but I was thinking maybe you could just use your imagination and draw pictures of what you think I might look like doing missionary work. That’s almost as good as the real thing.

Thanks for sending me that Jeffrey R. Holland talk. It was very good. We actually watched it with an investigator and it went really well.

That’s really crazy that it's almost ski season already. I'm surprised Dad’s not up there hiking for the first tracks. I'm not looking forward to winter over here. People somehow become less friendly and it starts getting dark at like noon and I started getting yelled out for being out knocking on doors in the middle of the night at like 3 pm. It’s going to be fun.

I figured out that I'm probably going to get transferred like 4 days before Christmas, so that’s going to be fun, because you usually spend two transfers training then move on. How will my new ward know to get me gifts?

I'm supposed to remind mom to get on Facebook already so people can talk to her. The Bowes-Taylors are getting impatient.

Has Kasey mastered driving yet? I think instead of a car you should get her a Vespa. That would be better. Oh I just realized I might never be able to send pictures home because there's a post strike starting Friday that could go until Christmas. So maybe next year.

How’s everyone doing? If Paul wants my address you should totally give it to him. I'd love to hear from him. I hear Chuck went on a mission. Paul promised me that he would have moved on from managing the Bountiful Ski n See by the time I get home, but we'll have to see. Maybe I'll get my old job back someday.

Jeffrey R. Holland gave a couple of other talks about missionary work that I'd love to get sometime if that would be possible.

Has Caleb mastered junior high yet? He keeps me updated on my basketball scores at least. My son (greeny or greenie I don't know how to spell that, they both look wrong) is pretty upset because his American companion doesn't play basketball and he was raised believing that all Americans are good at basketball. So I'm a disappointment but there you go.

I've noticed that my emails jump around a lot but that’s the way I think. Sometime I try to go back and put thoughts where they belong but, it’s a lot of work so I don't usually bother.

The ward here is great. They’re really excited about missionary work. They're really willing to help out. They don't feed us, but they help with the work which is really what matters. We usually only get fed once or twice a week which is a real change from my last area. I find that when not fed, I generally lack the desire to feed myself. I was honestly considering just not eating but then I realized it was necessary. I now see why in the white handbook it has to tell missionaries not to fast for more than 24 hours.

Let me know how skiing goes and if Kasey runs anyone over or not. Oh one of the missionaries in my flat would really appreciate it if you would send him a Classy Chassis comb. Also did you get sent a picture of me with my son? If you did, that counts as me sending a picture. That make 3 pictures not 0 that you've received of me. Three’s a solid number. No more complaints.

Thanks for all you do. You’re all amazing. The Church Is True.

Elder Cody Scott Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment