Wednesday, February 25, 2009

February 24, 2009

Subject: Can You Feel the Love Tonight

First of all, I have taken pictures. I just haven't sent them to you, so there. Tell Kasey I don't know if my charger works because I still haven't gotten it yet. I did get a letter today saying that they tried to deliver a package but I wasn't home. I have to go out to Stockton to pick it up which is a problem since we don't have a car.

I still haven't gotten a coat. I'm probably just going to use my DNA one for the rest of my mission, and boots really, do you think I'm handicapped or something. I did manage to write a bunch of letters this week so yeah for you, but I keep forgetting to mail them so you might never actually get them. But they do exist.

You might want to show Jared how Caleb spells his name. It's pretty interesting. I think its cooler with a y.

We’re not allowed to teach Shepard Yuda anymore. Our mission president decided it would be unsafe because he was getting a lot of death threats, so that’s the end of that. We’re going to try and get him a Book of Mormon in his language and then wait awhile before we see him again.

That’s great that you got a copy of the Leeds Leader. If they're sending you that, does that mean I don't have to write anymore? They send them out to us every week. I'm guessing you only got one because we made standards. We made standards again this week, so if you get another one, let me know.

Things are going a lot better in the area. We’re starting to find a lot of new investigators. We got 17 new investigators last week, which was a little overwhelming. We spent forever just trying to name them all off. They're not all necessarily promising but it’s a start. And we already have five new investigators this week. Plus there are a lot less crazy ones. I have had 0 conversations about cloning this last week so that was great, and a little disappointing all at the same time.

We do have one investigator who has Elderitus and she just tends to stare into our eyes when were over there which is a little creepy. Apparently Americans have amazing eyes. She's also drunk most of the time so it’s just never ending fun. But we did manage to find another investigator through her who seems really promising. She has had some hard times and seems excited about the gospel. She basically committed herself for church which doesn't happen all that much.

We also found Jimmy who we didn't think was very promising. We tried to call him to confirm our appointment and he didn't answer so we gave up on him. We were in the area later after another appointment that fell through so we gave him a call. He asked why we didn't show up before and we set up a time for another appointment. He's great. He says he is excited to learn more plus he actually listens to decent music. I know he listens to The Go! Team and the Eels which is amazing since everyone else just listens to Chav music, which is like rap but so much worse.

So things are going great. I am going a little crazy with where we live. We honestly live in a closet. All of my stuff is just in a pile because there is no space to put it. I did manage to use the duct tape you gave me to try and hold my drawers together, but it’s really not working at all. They've all joined together and it’s like putting together a puzzle to try and open one of them so I just avoid using them.

Like I mentioned before, we live with a member and he gives us a poo schedule every yweek, so we can know when he needs the bathroom in the morning. Not really to shower, just to take a poo. It’s not pleasant. He's now started taking two poos each morning. He poos, then shaves, then poos again. I know this because I'm in the hall right outside trying to find room to do a pushup and the bathroom door does not contain the smell. After he finishes, we rush in, open the window, spray the room with air freshener, run outside, close the door, and wait for awhile before we even try to go take a shower. I thought I'd share that with you so you could feel like you were part of the missionary experience. So there you go. Just try and imagine the scent.

But all joking aside, I really am enjoying myself. It's a great experience. I enjoy meeting people. Plus it really is different over here. One less active informed us that his area had 4 stabbings last week. I think he was exaggerating though, it really isn't that bad over here. There aren't even any blacked out areas in our mission. People just tend to see the problems with where they live.

I don't know if I told you that I got slapped by a Chav on the bus the other day but I did. He asked why I was wearing a suit and I told him and apparently, according to my companion, I was a little cheeky. (I use that word now, case you care.) Anyways, he slapped me, then got off the bus, so that was a first.

Well that’s all I gots. Tell Dad thanks for the letter. It was really good and tell Caleb that I did find another letter he had written me with Shannon’s secret escape route on it and I have written him a letter. Whether or not I send it we'll have to wait and see. Try not to go skiing too much without me, don’t touch my stuff. Church is true. Love you bye

Elder Cody Scott Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment